Monday, October 19, 2009

Finally, 16th Sept

I received an SMS this morning saying that the Prime Minister made an announcement 16th September will be made a public holiday starting next year, to mark Malaysia Day. My immediate response was "finally, and that it is so overdue."

He may have political reasons for deciding to do this (Sabah and Sarawak are fixed deposits for the BN as the PM himself has said), but whatever his reasons, I hope by marking Malaysia Day my fellow citizens in the peninsula will become more sensitive to how the country was formed.

Malaya gained its independence from the British on 31st August 1957, and six years later in 1963, Sarawak gained its independence sometime in July, and Sabah won its freedom on 31st Aug. Both states were literally countries on their own for a short while, before Malaysia was born on 16th September 1963. Until today, for 46 years, the date was not acknowledged. I am glad it is finally getting the recognition it deserves.

I also hope that eventually, my friends in the peninsula will not ask me how long I will be in Malaysia, the next time I go to KL for a holiday or for training. I feel broken hearted each time that question is asked... and I've answered many times that I've been in Malaysia for more than 30 years. Some quickly apologise and others look bewildered.

Anyway, hoorah for Malaysia Day.

1 comment:

  1. I was actually ecstatic when I saw the headline! I was like finally! Tapi baca the Bernama article, Najib said S & S "join" Malaysia...budu! Still I think this will help heaps!
    Haji

    ReplyDelete