Saturday, December 12, 2009

Return to Penang

Many years ago, in June 1993, I hopped on a plane to travel to Universiti Sains Malaysia in Penang. It was a new phase in my life, and at 19-and-a-half then, I was so excited about going off to university, to take up a degree in Mass Communications. I dare say the four years I spent there were the best in my life. I remember everything: jogs at the lake, long walks under the steaming rays of the sun to the Mass Comm school, typewriters (yes, I am that old!), waiting for friends at the bus stop to go for an outing to Komtar, rude Yellow Bus drivers, yummy food, late night chats and the joy of receiving letters from friends back home.

I returned to Penang a few days ago, and this time, I was there at the invitation of the Mass Comm school, to sit in as a panel member at their International Communication and Environment Conference. 16 years ago, a USM bus picked us up from the Bayan Lepas Airport, this time, a Perdana ferried me to Batu Ferringi for the conference. I met ex-lecturers who didn't recognise me cause I have changed, they say. There was a conference dinner on campus, but it was almost dark by the time we got there. It's changed a lot, I've changed over the years, but the memories remain.

On the last day, I went to Georgetown and the Chowrasta Market to pick up some pickles (jeruk), and the market seemed a lot smaller compared to before. I managed to have some pesembur in Padang Kota Lama, and then I took a Rapid Penang bus back to the hotel. Trust me, the buses have improved a lot! The drivers are so courteous, and buses run on time.

I am glad I had this one chance to return to Penang. Thank you, dear lecturers, for teaching me, thank you Penang and USM for the memories, thank you my friends who made university life the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment