Tuesday, July 28, 2009

If 6 billion people lived in 1 town...

Fish at Kg Luanti in Ranau. Villagers "harvest"
fish a few times a year, so that there will be
enough fish stock forever. Locally known as the
"tagal" system.

A rafflesia, the world's largest flower. I took
this shot in Poring a year ago.

At 4,095.2 metres, Mount Kinabalu
never fails to awe me.


Cruising for wildlife at the Kinabatangan
river in eastern Sabah.


Sunrise at the Kinabatangan river
in eastern Sabah.



Here's some trivia I want to share with you. I was at a public lecture this morning, and Malaysian Nature Society president Tan Sri Dr Salleh Mohd Noor said something interesting (or at least interesting to me). He asked everyone to imagine if the world's population of 6 billion lived in one town and what the demographic/social status/etc would be like. This is what I managed to jot down:

1. In that town, Asians make up 57%, followed by 21% Europeans, 14% Americans and 8% Africans.

2. There are more women -- 52%.
3. 70% are of coloured skin, and the rest are Caucasians.
4. Just 6% own 59% of wealth in that town.
5. A whopping 80% dont have proper living conditions.
6. Only 1 person has a computer.
7. Only 1 person has higher education.
There were a few more stats, but I couldnt jot them all down fast enough. But what really hit me is how lucky we are, at least here in Malaysia. Anyway, the message that the Tan Sri was trying to drive home was that we are privileged in this country, and that we must do our best to help planet Earth, which is plagued by climate change, biodiversity loss and population growth.

I try to do my part, whenever I can. I dont take plastic bags (unless I really dont have a choice), and I bring along a shopping bag (keep one in your car). I try not to waste. I am not perfect, will never be, but I am doing what I can. The world belongs to us. Lets take responsibility :)

1 comment: