Monday, September 21, 2009

I Know What You Did Last Raya

Dear Friends,

Selamat Hari Raya 2009 to you. Maaf, Zahir dan Batin.

Its the second day of Raya, and I am sitting here at home, on a cloudy afternoon, wondering what has happened to the Raya I used to love. The Raya in my school days, and in the early part of my working life as a young adult. The Raya that saw me and my closest friends hopping from one home to another to celebrate together. Like a "storm," we gathered strength by picking up friends at different locations after celebrating at their homes. It didn't matter that we had to take the bus (in my school years) and walk under the blazing sun. It was super-fun. I loved pineapple tarts that my friends served me. Most were home- baked cookies back then. I also remember how my friends used to cover their walls with cards they received, including from me. Today, we send SMS and Internet greetings. I admit, I was only able to send one card this year, and even that was by hand. No more lining up at the post office to buy stamps.

Now, we have grown up. Everyone has their own lives to live. Everyone has their own commitments. And there is just way too much to watch on TV, and there's the Internet taking up a chunk of our time. The excitement is gone. Well, at least for me. I pray it hasn't for you.

Please bring my lost Raya back to me ...

2 comments:

  1. skrg ni smua hantar e-card seja..but i still hv plenty of xmas cards at home in KK so my plan for xmas this year is to send out xmas cards cara tradisional yeehaa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda... I am already planning to make a list so that I wont leave it to the last minute! My resolution, which I hope will continue.

    ReplyDelete