Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Malaysia Day

Today, 16th September 2009, marks the 46th anniversary of the formation of Malaysia. Back in 1963, Sabah, Sarawak, Malaya and Singapore decided to become one. Singapore, left a couple of years later.

It is a public holiday in Sabah, and most table calendars will tell you its the day the state officially marks the birthday of our Head of State. Some calendars, like my Lat inspired one courtesy of the New Straits Times, mentions that it is also Malaysia Day. I feel sad today is not a national holiday, so that ALL Malaysians can celebrate it. And I must admit, I only found out today that it is not a public holiday in Sarawak. All these years I thought it was a public holiday in both states.

It was very interesting to see the comments on my Facebook page when I wished everyone a Happy Malaysia Day and pointed out it is the day we formed Malaysia, and not the day we "joined" Malaysia as many believe. Some agreed with me, some couldn't understand. Can't blame those who don't understand. Our history was wrongly written. Our text books, or at least when I was in school, made very vague mention of Sabah and Sarawak, and who our leaders were when we gained independence from the British. I knew more of freedom fighters in Malaya, and we were always assured that no one will ask a question on Sabah and Sarawak in the SPM exams.

The Sabah edition of today's The Borneo Post has interesting takes on Malaysia Day, quoting Upko president Tan Sri Bernard Dompok, and long time renegade politician Dr Jeffrey Kitingan. Read the story by Sandra Sokial and Mariah Doksil if you have time. Its called "We're only 46 Today." I could not find the online link. Mariah also has an interesting take in her blog. Check it out at http://ladymariah.wordpress.com/

I must also recommend an editorial by Universiti Malaysia Sarawak senior lecturer Dr Jeniri Amir which was published in today's Berita Harian under the title "16 September asas penyatuan Malaysia." (http://www.bharian.com.my/). Let me quote his second last paragraph:

"Sesungguhnya, ketika kita meraikan hari kemerdekaan setiap tahun, kita tidak harus lupa pada 16 September. Tarikh ini tidak harus hanya dikaitkan dengan kegagalan pemimpin pembangkang untuk mengambil alih kerajaan pada tahun lalu."

I personally feel it will be a long, long time before everyone will come to accept that we should do away with 31st August and celebrate on 16th September.

No comments:

Post a Comment